American Idol fan pulls butcher knife to get it on hotel TV, say police
(CBS) - Days Inn hotel guest Barran Prakash is reportedly threatened two co-workers he was staying with with a butcher knife after they refused to change the TV channel to "American Idol," Neptune Beach police said.
Prakash, 47, of Brooklyn, N.Y. insisted Tuesday that his two co-workers, Michael Pooran and Sean Huggins, change the channel when he believed "American Idol" was on, reports local station WJXT.
When they said no, a heated argument ensued and Prakash grabbed a large butcher knife and held it to Huggins' throat, police say. Pooran intervened and was able to take the knife from Prakash, but then the "American Idol" fanatic attacked him, according to police.
Police said they arrived at the scene just before 9 p.m. and took Prakash into custody, reports WJXT.
Prakash is being charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon without intent to kill, and was being held in the Duval County Jail, says WJXT.
"American Idol" did not air Tuesday night.
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Police: Boston math tutor also meth trafficker
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- Cops: Pa. couple stabbed each other over "American Idol"
- School security guard allegedly pushes girl down stairs