11-year-old girl, alleged victim of Texas gang rape, blamed for attack at town hall meeting
(CBS/AP) CLEVELAND, Texas - At a town-hall meeting Thursday night supporters of the men accused of sexually assaulting an 11-year-old girl blamed the alleged victim for her own gang rape.
The meeting was called to discuss concerns some were having about the investigation, but then it turned into a forum for many to blame the girl.
Others have said earlier in the week that they were outraged by the attacks. The age of consent in Texas is 17.
Police say the girl was sexually assaulted during several attacks last year. The alleged gang rape took place at an abandoned mobile home in Cleveland, Texas, about 40 miles northeast of Houston, and police say the attack was captured on cell phone video.
The authorities have arrested 18 people, including two of Cleveland's star high school athletes and adults with criminal records. They face assault and abuse charges.
More on Crimesider
March 9, 2011 - Gang rape of 11-year-old Texas girl is on cell phone video, say police
March 8, 2011 - Alleged Texas Gang-Rape: Dozens of suspects may be involved in attack on 11-year-old girl
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Victim in Utah church shooting expected to survive
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- N.M. Police: Grandmother unmasks robber, finds grandson
- Bulger Trial: Admitted killer Martorano calls self "nice guy"
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days
- Mother beats man she believes molested her kids
- Italian high court gives reason for new Knox trial
- Cops: Utah man shoots father-in-law during Mass
- Digging resumes for Jimmy Hoffa remains today
- Report: Child sex sting in Florida nets 41 arrests
- Affidavit: Drug deal led to murder of Ind. teen
- Hitman testifies "Whitey" Bulger "broke my heart"
- Cops: Calif. math teacher had sex with boy multiple times