British judge tackles escaping prisoner
(CBS) - They do things a little differently in England. For one, the judges all wear robes and powdered wigs. They also know how to lay down the law personally, as one prisoner reportedly discovered when he was tackled by a judge while trying to escape from court.
"The jury were just leaving when the defendant jumped up and ran across the clerk's bench to get to the judge's door," prosecutor Rupert Gregory told Reuters.
"As he went through the door, his honor Judge Marks Moore grabbed him round the throat to try to bring him down." Gregory continued. Judge Douglas Marks Moore, for the record, is 60-years-old; the defendant, named Paul Reid, is 34-years-old.
The defendant, who had been convicted of a sex offense, broke free from his honor's grip and ran down a hallway. With no one else to give chase, Moore sprinted after him.
"Just s Mr Reid was about to open a push-handle fire door," Gregory told Reuters, "Marks
Reid had pulled a similar stunt two years earlier, that time successfully escaping from court. Clearly Judge Marks Moore was not on the bench that day.
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- W.Va. girl pleads guilty in the killing of Skylar Neese, 16
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- School security guard allegedly pushes girl down stairs
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Police: Boston math tutor also meth trafficker
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths