Gang rape of 11-year-old Texas girl is on cell phone video, say police
(CBS/KHOU/AP) CLEVELAND, Texas - Police say the gang rape of an 11-year-old girl was captured on cell phone video, according to a search warrant affidavit obtained by several Houston media outlets. Eighteen juveniles and adults are accused of sexually assaulting the girl at an abandoned mobile home in Cleveland, Texas.
Police say the lurid video circulated at a small Texas middle school.
The girl, who police have not named, told investigators she was raped at the home on Nov. 28.
Indictments in the case say there also were attacks on Sept. 15 and Oct. 25. Each time, at least two individuals were allegedly involved. The indictments say the girl was attacked by at least three people in November.
Both police and prosecutors have declined to discuss details of the case.
So far, well over a dozen suspects have been arrested in the case, some of whom are juveniles and students.
Investigators believe there could be even more suspects.
"I've heard as many as 28 or more. The case now has 16, 17 people who have been arrested," defense attorney James Evans III told CBS affiliate KHOU.
More on Crimesider
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Cops: Mom arrested for stripping during school assembly
- Police recover backpacks of 2 kidnapped Iowa girls
- Report: Alleged prison gang leader impregnated 4 guards
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Army: Soldier charged with videotaping women at West Point
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- 13-yr.-old girls targeted in Minn. abduction attempts
- Death of infant son of religious couple ruled homicide
- Friend: Man charged in missing Maine teen's death knew her