Alleged Texas Gang-Rape: Dozens of suspects may be involved in attack on 11-year-old girl
(CBS/KHOU) LIBERTY COUNTY, Texas - Four young men accused in an alleged gang-rape of an 11-year-old Cleveland, Texas girl have appeared before a judge.
So far, well over a dozen suspects have been arrested in the case, some of whom are juveniles and students.
Investigators believe there could be even more suspects.
"I've heard as many as 28 or more. The case now has 16, 17 people who have been arrested," defense attorney James Evans III told CBS affiliate KHOU.
Evans represents four of the accused.
"It's a tragic situation, as we all have come to realize. The families are dealing with it - it's a very stressful environment," Evans said.
Thew media were not allowed in the courtroom Monday, and the suspects' families declined to comment.
All four of the defendants who were in court - Marcus Porchia, Rayford Ellis, Isaiah Ross and Kelvin King - are pleading not guilty.
The charges came after the 11-year-old girl reported the alleged assault to her principal's office. She said it happened over the Thanksgiving holiday at an abandoned mobile home in Cleveland, a small city about 50 miles north of Houston.
Prosecutors also declined to comment Monday, but more court dates are scheduled for April.
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Victim in Utah church shooting expected to survive
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Bulger Trial: Admitted killer Martorano calls self "nice guy"
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- N.M. Police: Grandmother unmasks robber, finds grandson
- Mother beats man she believes molested her kids
- Cops: Calif. math teacher had sex with boy multiple times
- Italian high court gives reason for new Knox trial
- Search for missing woman, 19, in Tempe, Ariz.
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Ohio day care worker charged with drugging kids' snacks
- Report: Child sex sting in Florida nets 41 arrests