Tina Stewart murder suspect Shanterrica Madden claims self defense
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. - The lawyer for Shanterrica Madden, the suspect in the murder of Middle Tennessee State University women's basketball player Clantina "Tina" Stewart, claimed that his client acted in self defense in the fatal stabbing, according to a report.
Joe Brandon told a reporter at Madden's Thursday morning arraignment that Madden was being beaten up by Stewart and had stabbed her with Stewart's own knife, according to the Daily News Journal.
Officials have said the two women got into a fight in their apartment when Madden pulled out a knife and stabbed Stewart.
According to the paper, Madden is being held without bail.
The 21-year-old Stewart was a junior at MTSU and is originally from Memphis.
Police received an anonymous 911 call from an off-campus apartment complex just before 7:00 p.m. Wednesday. When they arrived on scene they found Stewart stabbed several times, reports CBS affiliate WTVF. Police said that two females assaulted Stewart.
Emergency medical teams rushed Stewart to Middle Tennessee Medical Center with multiple trauma wounds, where she died from her injuries.
Madden was charged with first-degree homicide and booked into the Rutherford County Jail.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Cops: Utah teen arrested in death of his 2 brothers
- Ex-teacher on FBI 'Most Wanted' list due in court in porn case
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- Cops: Mom arrested for stripping during school assembly
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Third Calif. law student charged in Vegas bird killing
- 13-yr.-old girls targeted in Minn. abduction attempts
- Police recover backpacks of 2 kidnapped Iowa girls
- Cops: NY man rescued after being held for ransom