Dawn Viens Update: Husband of missing woman admits killing her, say police
(CBS/AP) LOMITA, Calif. - David Viens has admitted to killing his wife, Dawn, say Los Angeles authorities, but after an extensive search of his Lomita restaurant her body still has not been found.
Despite their unsuccessful search of the Thyme Contemporary Cafe, which was renovated shortly after his wife's disappearance, Los Angeles County sheriff's detectives say they had a breakthrough with Viens.
"He made statements to the investigators implicating himself as being solely responsible for Dawn's death," sheriff's Lt. Dave Coleman said, although authorities say Viens did not say what had happened to her body.
Crews searched for two days using a cadaver sniffing dog, pulling up the concrete floors and sifting through dirt where the dogs indicated. By Wednesday afternoon the coroner said there was no evidence of any human remains on the property.
Dawn has been missing since the fall of 2009.
David Viens, 47, is still recovering from jumping off a cliff in Rancho Palos Verdes after he read that he was suspected in his wife's death and led detectives, who were watching him, on a chase.
He smashed his ankles, a femur and his hips in the fall and is still in the hospital.
Coleman said Viens would face unspecified charges once he has recovered more. Detectives are expected to submit the case to prosecutors soon.
Click here for more of the Dawn Viens case on Crimesider.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case