Oklahoma mother gets 10 years for $31 marijuana sale
(CBS) - A $31 marijuana sale has landed 25-year-old Oklahoma mother of four Patricia Spottedcrow and a grandmother 10 years in prison.
Police say Spottedcrow and her 50-year-old mother Delita Starr sold $11 worth of pot to an undercover cop at her home in 2009 on New Year's Eve, according to The Oklahoman. Two weeks later, the cop came back and bought $20 worth of marijuana.
Both women were arrested and charged with drug distribution. And since Spottedcrow's children were present in the home during the drug deal, the pair was also charged with possession of a dangerous substance in the presence of a minor, according to the paper.
The Oklahoman reports that prosecutors tried to cut a deal, but both women decided to plead guilty and take their chances with the judge, since they had no prior convictions.
But the judge threw the book at them and sentenced them to 10 years in prison.
Spottedcrow was also charged another two years for possession after police found marijuana in her jacket pocket when she was picked up to go to prison.
Spottedcrow began her sentence on Dec. 29, 2010.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Ex-teacher on FBI 'Most Wanted' list due in court in porn case
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- Cops: Utah teen arrested in death of his 2 brothers
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Cops: Mom arrested for stripping during school assembly
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Police recover backpacks of 2 kidnapped Iowa girls
- 13-yr.-old girls targeted in Minn. abduction attempts
- Third Calif. law student charged in Vegas bird killing
- Cops: NY man rescued after being held for ransom
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.