Jaime Zapata, U.S. Immigration Agent, Shot Dead in Mexico in Apparent Ambush
Agent Jaime Zapata was killed.
At one point, law enforcement sources say, one vehicle passed the agent's Suburban and cut it off. The Suburban was trapped between the two cars loaded with up to ten gunmen, who surrounded the Americans, although it is unclear if the gunmen knew there were U.S. agents in the car.
One of the agents rolled down his window and both agents were shot. He rolled the window back up and other gunmen opened fire on the armored vehicle with high powered weapons, sources told CBS News.
The gunmen fled and the agents were able to call for help on a cell phone. ICE agent Victor Avila suffered gunshot wounds to the leg but survived the ambush. He has been returned to the United States.
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- Report: NFL player not ruled out as suspect in murder probe
- Ex-Playmate pleads guilty in immigrant smuggling case
- Report: NFL player questioned in death investigation
- Atty: Martin family confident Zimmerman will be convicted
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- One of US FBI's most wanted nabbed in Mexico
- "Modern-day slavery" case "all lies," suspect's mom says
- Calif. widow's home broken into 14 times, says she's leaving
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released