Thomas Steven Sanders, Once Ruled "Legally Dead," Arraigned in La. Murder-Kidnapping Case
Fifty-three-year-old Thomas Stevens Sanders is accused of kidnapping and killing Lexis Roberts. If convicted of either charge, who could face the death penalty. He is accused of bringing Lexis from Arizona to Louisiana and shooting her with a .22-caliber rifle.
He entered the not guilty plea Friday.
Lexis and her mother, 31-year-old Suellen Roberts, reportedly traveled with Sanders over the Labor Day weekend last year. Sanders is also suspected in Roberts' death.
Sanders was declared legally dead in Mississippi in 1994. His wife divorced him in 1988 accusing him of "habitual, cruel and inhuman treatment." In July 1994 Sanders' parents, brother and ex-wife petitioned a Mississippi court to have him declared dead so that his children could receive death benefits, though it is not clear if they did.
Despite being declared dead, Sanders was able to move around the country with ease either using his real name, pseudonyms, or nicknames. According to investigators, Sanders lived in Mississippi, Louisiana, Tennessee, Georgia and Nevada, working as a laborer, a welder and scrap metal collector.
- Ex-Playmate pleads guilty in immigrant smuggling case
- Missing Univ. of Chicago student's body found in lake
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- FBI finds possible human remains at mobster's former home
- Mother of La. girl allegedly killed by brother speaks out
- Calif. teen, once honored, now murder suspect, cops say
- Cleveland kidnap victims may get state govt. payments
- Report: NFL player not ruled out as suspect in murder probe
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Report: 2 NY men arrested in alleged radiation terror plot
- "Modern-day slavery" case "all lies," suspect's mom says
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple
- Report: Calif. man stabs father, cuts off his own hands