Art Schlichter, Ex-OSU Quarterback, Probed in Super Bowl Tickets Scam
(CBS/WBNS) Art Schlichter, a former Ohio State All-American quarterback, is being investigated for his role in an alleged sports ticket scheme that bilked people out of millions of dollars, according to a report.
Sources close to the investigation said that Schlichter and Anita Barney, a Dublin woman whose husband was a co-founder of the Wendy's restaurant chain, allegedly promised sports fans hundreds of thousands of dollars in sporting event tickets but never delivered.
CBS affiliate WBNS has reported that at least six lawsuits filed against Barney.
Those close to the investigation said that Barney took their money for tickets to various events, including the Ohio State-Michigan game and this weekend's Super Bowl, but the tickets were never produced. Barney is accused of writing bad checks to cover the debts.
Barney could not be reached for comment on Friday, but her attorney said she herself was conned by Schlichter, reports the station.
The attorney said that Schlichter, 50, took advantage of Barney's sympathy for his gambling problem and eventually loaned him money. Then, the attorney said, Schlichter convinced her that the only way she would get the money back was if she helped him raise money for sports tickets.
"Anita is without question the victim of a massive crime," the attorney said.
Barney told newspaper The Columbus Dispatch that in the heat of this controversy, she has had thoughts of suicide.
Schlichter, a former Buckeye great and admitted gambling addict who served time in prison for fraud and forgery, confirmed to The Columbus Dispatch that he was going to meet with law enforcement.
According to the paper, Schlichter has served time in 44 prisons or jails since 1994. He was drafted by the then-Baltimore Colts in 1982, but his gambling problem ruined his professional prospects.
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Cops: Hosftra student was killed by officer's gunshot
- Report: Boyfriend charged in murder of Conn. college coed
- Police: Ex-cop once hailed as hero charged with rape
- Sources: Husband ordered cyanide before wife's death
- Arias returns to court for penalty phase of trial
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Cops: NYC man dead after "anti-gay" hate shooting
- Colorado mob attacks man thought to be sexual predator
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Authorities search for missing URI student
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home