Chester D. Turner, L.A. Serial Killer, Charged With Four New Murders
(CBS/KCBS) Los Angeles authorities have linked four new killings to Chester D. Turner, who prosecutors described as the city's most prolific serial killer when he was sentenced to death in 2007 for murdering 10 women over a decade in Los Angeles County.
Turner, 44, was charged on Tuesday with the June 5, 1987, slaying of Elandra Bunn; the Nov. 16, 1992, murder of Debra Williams; the Dec. 16, 1992, killing of Mary Edwards; and the Feb. 22, 1997, slaying of Cynthia Annette Johnson, reports CBS station KCBS.
A DNA test recently linked Turner to Johnson's murder, which was considered cleared by the LAPD after another suspected was arrested and unsuccessfully prosecuted, according to The Los Angeles Times.
Turner had long been suspected in the three remaining murders, but charges were never filed against him, reports the paper.
In two cases, another man was wrongfully convicted and spent 11 years behind bars until his release in 2004, when DNA linked Turner to those killings. In the fourth case, DNA connected Turner to the case after he had been charged with multiple killings in 2004.
The criminal complaint includes the special circumstance allegations of multiple murders and murder during the commission of a rape or attempted rape involving all four of the additional victims who were strangled to death, according to KCBS.
It was unclear how soon the death row inmate would be brought from San Quentin State Prison to the downtown Los Angeles courthouse to be arraigned on the new charges.
The Arkansas native -- who once worked as a pizza deliveryman -- reportedly lived within 30 blocks of each of murder scenes.
He was sentenced to death in July 2007 for murdering 10 women between 1987 and 1998.
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Cops: Utah teen arrested in death of his 2 brothers
- Ex-teacher on FBI 'Most Wanted' list due in court in porn case
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Missing Univ. of Rhode Island student found safe
- Third Calif. law student charged in Vegas bird killing
- Cops: Mom arrested for stripping during school assembly
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- Zimmerman defense releases photos, texts of Trayvon Martin
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Prosecutors: Accused killer Kelly Soo Park is a "flight risk"