Bullied on Tape: Middle Schooler Kidnapped, Hung from Fence and Tree, say Cops in Phila. Suburb
(CBS/KYW/AP) It's a bullying case that involved the kidnapping of a middle school student, and which could have been worse, authorities say.
Police in the Philadelphia suburb of Upper Darby say seven teenagers have been arrested in connection with an assault in which a 13-year-old student was attacked and kidnapped, apparently at random, hung from a fence post, and then upside down from a tree, according to CBS affiliate KYW.
Police say the assailants taped the incident on their cell phones, KYW reports.
Upper Darby Township Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood says the students were arrested Monday for the assault that happened in the parking lot of an apartment complex on Jan. 11.
The Delaware County Daily Times reports officers arrived at Upper Darby High School early Monday. Chitwood says the students arrested are ages 16 and 17.
Police said the victim, who attends the community's Beverly Hills Middle School, was impaled on a fence post, then hung upside down from a tree until he fell. He went home and 911 was called, reported KYW.
The incident last week is said to have lasted 20 minutes.
Chitwood says the bullied student did not suffer serious physical injuries, but did suffer "extreme mental anguish."
Police say they have video of the incident and are cooperating with school officials.
- Hitman testifies "Whitey" Bulger "broke my heart"
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, released from prison
- Cops: Utah man shoots father-in-law during Mass
- Calif. teacher accused of killing wife arrested after search
- Embattled ex-Elmo puppeteer wins 3 Daytime Emmys
- Calif. school district wins $2.6M in "false rape" case
- Medical examiner resigns after 3 die in same hotel room
- Joseph Naso, 79, on trial in "Double Initial" murders
- Report: Weekend violence leaves 7 dead, 46 shot in Chicago
- Affidavit: Drug deal led to murder of Ind. teen
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days
- Jimmy Hoffa search focuses on field in Detroit suburb
- Funeral held for Md. girl who police say was raped, killed
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Court revisits disputed 911 call in Zimmerman trial