Woman Steals $92 from Florida Girl Scout, But Leaves the Cookies Behind
PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla. (CBS) Girl Scouts across the county have launched their annual cookie campaign, an 80-year tradition, that is exciting not only for Thin Mint lovers, but also for the young girls experiencing the thrill of the sale for the first time.
However, for one 7-year-old from Palm Beach Gardens, Fla. the sweet experience soured after a woman stole all of her day's earnings, almost $100.
Girl Scout Vanessa Bergeron, along with the help of her mother Missy, had set up a cookie stand Sunday night outside the community's local supermarket.
Everything was going smoothly for Vanessa and Missy, until what seemed like an ordinary sale went extremely wrong, reports local station WPBF.
"I went over to her car and I had the box of cookies like this and I was counting out the money. She took the money and was acting like she was going to go in her purse and she gassed the car and almost ran me over," Missy told WBPF.
The woman driving the maroon, four-door Honda allegedly sped away with $92 in cash.
"I would've given her a couple dollars out of my own money but to rob from two little girls like that you really have some issues," Missy said.
Immediately following the incident, Missy called police because she was concerned the same woman might strike other troops' cookie stands.
Although police have not yet caught the cookie monster, patrons of the surrounding businesses who got wind of what happened decided to donate money to help cover the losses.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details