California Highway Patrol Officer Tomiekia Johnson Charged with Husband's Murder
According to the district attorney's office, the 31-year-old Johnson was arrested by Los Angeles sheriff's deputies.
Initially, Johnson told investigators that she shot Marcus Lemons once in the upper body after an argument between the two escalated to physical violence, reports KTLA.
However, prosecutors say she intentionally shot Lemons, the father of her two children, and then fled to her parents' house in Compton where she reported the incident, says The Los Angeles Times.
Johnson, who had been employed with the CHP since 2002 was off-duty at the time of the shooting.
The newspaper says Johnson was arrested at the desk job she's held since the killing.
Sheriff's homicide detectives doubted Johnson's story especially after family members and friends of Lemons, a 31-year-old barber, described him as a peaceful man, while Johnson had a history of drinking heavily, reports The Los Angeles Times.
The California Highway Patrol is cooperating fully with investigators and the district attorney's office as the prosecution goes forward.
KTLA reports that Johnson's bail has been set at $2 million.
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Cops: Hosftra student was killed by officer's gunshot
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Arias returns to court for penalty phase of trial
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Police: Ex-cop once hailed as hero charged with rape
- Sources: Husband ordered cyanide before wife's death
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case
- Cops: NYC man dead after "anti-gay" hate shooting
- Colorado mob attacks man thought to be sexual predator
- Report: Boyfriend charged in murder of Conn. college coed
- Authorities search for missing URI student
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home