"Philadelphia Strangler" Linked to 3rd Victim, Police Urge Calm
Authorities said Tuesday that DNA links the death of 27-year-old Casey Mahoney to the slayings of two women found beaten, raped and strangled in the city's Kensington section.
Three other women reported surviving sexual assaults in the area, two of whom said they were choked into unconsciousness.
Authorities stressed that neighbors must not take the law into their own hands. A man falsely identified as a suspect on Facebook called police for help after fearing vigilantes.
The mayor has announced a $30,000 reward for information leading to the culprit's arrest and conviction.
More on Crimesider
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Cops: N.M. mom chased her daughter's abductor for 7 miles
- Jodi Arias Trial: Jury weighs "cruelty" factor