700 Pound Bear Killed in its Den; Colo. Hunter Under Fire
CRAIG, Colo. (CBS/KCNC) A hunter from Craig may have killed one of the biggest bears ever in Colorado.
But how the hunter bagged his prize is creating quite a controversy, according to CBS affiliate KCNC.
Richard Kendall told The Craig Daily Press that he tracked the 700 pound bear to its den north of Meeker, then waited five hours for it to come out.
When the bear did not emerge, he went in and killed it.
The Division of Wildlife says it has been getting lots of calls from people outraged about how Kendall killed the bear.
KCNC spoke with Randy Hampton of the Division of Wildlife who says the bear kill was not illegal, but it does go against some of the unspoken rules in the hunting world.
"There are certainly ethical standards within the hunting community: Don't shoot ducks on a pond. Don't shoot turkeys on a roost. Don't shoot bears in a den," Hampton told the station.
The Division of Wildlife says the incident will open up a discussion of the issue, and it will present its findings to the wildlife commission.
It will be up to them to decide if what Kendall did will be illegal in the future.
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Arias returns to court for penalty phase of trial