Celebration, Florida Killing: First Murder Victim in Disney-Developed Community Identified
CELEBRATION, Fla. (CBS/WTSP) Matteo P. Giovanditto has been identified as the first homicide victim ever in the Disney-developed community of Celebration, Fla., the Osceola County Sheriff's Office announced Wednesday.
Giovanditto, 58, was killed inside his Celebration condominium sometime over the Thanksgiving weekend, say investigators.
His body was discovered Monday by a woman who was checking on her neighbor, Osecola County sheriff's deputies said.
Detectives said the death is the first homicide in the Celebration community, a small, family-oriented community that was planned and developed by Disney in the early 1990s, reports CBS affiliate WTSP.
On Tuesday, deputies recovered Giovanditto's black 2008 Chevrolet Corvette in Kissimmee after someone called a tip line.
Giovanditto, a former teacher and Massachusetts native, moved to Celebration from south Florida in 2004, according to the Sun Sentinel. A neighbor told the paper that Giovanditto was working as a psychologist for challenged youths, but that information could not be confirmed.
"In this neighborhood it's a rare occurrence for the Celebration community, and we are working this as an isolated incident," said Twis Lizasuain, Osceola County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman.
An autopsy was conducted Tuesday, but investigators would not disclose its results, according to the Sun Sentinel.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Cops: N.M. mom chased her daughter's abductor for 7 miles