Missing Ohio Girl Sarah Maynard Found; Police Search Park
MOUNT VERNON, Ohio (CBS/WBNS) Police on Monday blocked off a park a few blocks away from the home where Ohio teenager Sarah Maynard was found bound and gagged over the weekend.
Police apparently found items in Foundation Park in Mount Vernon, Ohio that may be connected to the 13-year-old girl and the three other people who went missing Wednesday.
Matthew Hoffman, 30, was taken into custody inside the home where Sarah was found and charged with one count of kidnapping, investigators said. Additional charges against him were possible.
"We believe [Maynard] was taken sometime on Wednesday and [Hoffman] has had control of ever since," Knox County Sheriff David Barber told CBS affiliate WBNS.
Maynard's younger brother Kody, 11; her mother, Tina Herrmann, 32; and a family friend, Stephanie Sprang, 41, also vanished last week.
No one had seen or heard from the missing women or children since Wednesday, when Herrmann failed to show up for work. On Thursday, both of her children were absent from school.
Barber said he believed the three were still alive and the investigation was still being handled as missing persons case.
Barber said that special attention was being paid to blood that was found inside Herrmann's home. Barber called the amount of blood "unusual."
"It is obvious that someone was injured in the house," Barber told the station.
Kody A. Maynard is 4-feet-10-inches tall, weighing 70 pounds, with brown hair and hazel eyes.
Sprang is 5-feet-3-inches tall, weighing 110 pounds, with blonde hair and green eyes.
Herrmann is 5-feet-6-inches tall, weighing 122 pounds, with sandy blonde hair and blue eyes.
Anyone with information about the case is asked to contact the Knox County Sheriff's Office at 740-397-3333.
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Bulger Trial: Admitted killer Martorano calls self "nice guy"
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Cleveland kidnap victims may get state govt. payments
- Search for missing woman, 19, in Tempe, Ariz.
- Italian high court gives reason for new Knox trial
- Mother beats man she believes molested her kids
- N.M. Police: Grandmother unmasks robber, finds grandson
- Cops: Calif. math teacher had sex with boy multiple times
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days
- Affidavit: Drug deal led to murder of Ind. teen