Sarah Palin Gets Pink Underwear from Ariz. Sheriff Joe "Let Them Wear Pink" Arpaio
Palin was the "surprise guest" at a Tea Party Express Rally in Phoenix where Arpaio, America's self-proclaimed "toughest sheriff," spoke about illegal immigration.
The interesting gift isn't quite as random as one might think - Arpaio is famous for making his inmates wear pink underwear and using pink handcuffs, claiming that pink is psychologically calming, according to a 2009 profile in Time Magazine.
Arpaio announced the gift on his Twitter page: "Just got done welcoming Sarah Palin to our County. Had a nice chat and gave her a pair of pink underwear," he wrote.
In an ongoing case, a federal judge ruled in 2008 and again in 2010 that Maricopa County jails violate the civil rights of inmates. Aside from the pink underwear and "wrist jewelry," Arpaio is also known for restricting his prisoners to two meals a day, and housing some inmates outdoors.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty
- Cops: N.M. mom chased her daughter's abductor for 7 miles