Jennifer Mee (PICTURES): "Hiccup Girl" to Teen Killer?
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (CBS/WFOR) Jennifer Mee, the 19-year-old Florida teen who in 2007 made headlines with her uncontrollable hiccupping, is now making headlines for murder.
Over the weekend Mee, of St. Petersburg, and two other people were charged with first-degree murder in the death 22-year old Shannon Griffin.
According to the St. Petersburg Police Department, Mee lured Griffin to a home where the two others robbed him and then shot him several times with a .38-caliber revolver.
"Griffin struggled with the suspects during the robbery," police spokesman Michael Puetz said in a statement obtained by ABC News. "After which, Griffin was shot and killed."
Mee and the others reportedly admitted to the crimes during questioning, CBS affiliate WFOR reports.
In 2007, Mee gained national attention as the girl who could not stop hiccupping; she would hiccup up to 50 times a minute for months. She told a local ABC station that the hiccups caused chest and back pain, and called it "unbelievable."
She tried home remedies and consulted medical specialists, a hypnotist and an acupuncturist, until the hiccups finally just stopped on their own.
Mee is no longer suffering from the hiccups, police spokesman Mike Puetz said.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- Massive search underway for abducted teen in Iowa
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Cops: NC woman tried to poison family members' cheese
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death