Michael Brewer Update: Trio of Teen Burning Suspects Reject Plea Deal
FORT LAUDERDALE (CBS/WFOR) Three teenagers charged in the brutal burning of Deerfield Beach teen Michael Brewer appeared back in court on Friday.
According to CBS affiliate WFOR, the three accused teens turned down plea deals: Jesus Mendez for 15 years in prison, 10 years of probation; Matthew Bent and Denver Jarvis both 10 years in prison, 10 years on probation. Defense lawyers for all three boys declined the offers.
A new hearing has been set for Dec. 13 when there will be a new judge on the case that is expected to continue past January.
All sides, however, did agree to return to court to continue discussing a deal. According to prosecutors, they have not ruled out a change of plea which could end the case without a trial.
Bent, Mendez and Jarvis remain in jail charged as adults with attempted murder. Each of the teens faces up to 25 years to life in prison if convicted. The trio is accused of setting Brewer on fire after an argument over a video game and a stolen bike.
Michael Brewer, who celebrated his 16th birthday earlier this month, was doused with rubbing alcohol and set on fire in October 2009. He survived by jumping into a nearby swimming pool. He suffered burns over 60-percent of his body. He spent months rehabilitating at Jackson Memorial Hospital Burn Center in Miami.
Michael told news network CNN that he is ready to see his alleged attackers again in court and is willing to testify.
"I think they're just jerks, and they got what they deserved," he told CNN.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case