Kirk Smalley, Father of Ty Field, Battles Bullying He Says Cost His Son's Life
"I'm not going to stop. I'll fight bullying wherever it's found," he told a reporter in an interview with CNN Monday.
Ty took his own life in May after he was suspended from school for reportedly fighting with another boy who had bullied him all year long, reports CBS affiliate KOTV.
According to Smalley, the bullying started approximately two years ago when kids began calling his son names and pushing him around in elementary school, states CNN. From there the abuse steadily increased.
"I think he was tired of fighting it. I don't think he had anything left in him," Smalley said.
Smalley said his wife had complained to the school but got nowhere.
"She's talked to the school a lot and the most answers we usually got were, 'Boys will be boys,'" Smalley said in an interview with CBS affiliate KOTV after his son's tragic death.
Today, Smalley works to save other children from bullying and to prevent what he called a "parent's worst nightmare."
"My wife and I are adamant. Something needs to be done. If you're being bullied find help. Don't be afraid to talk about it," Smalley said.
Smalley said he's already been contacted by a filmmaker who's working on a documentary about children who commit suicide after being bullied. He said he and his wife plan to help in any way they can.
The superintendent of Perkins Schools, where Ty attended sixth grade, said there's no indication the bullying occurred. However, Superintendent James Ramsey said he didn't know if any complaints were made to the principal's office.
MORE ON CRIMESIDER
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Missing Univ. of Rhode Island student found safe
- Cops: Pa. couple stabbed each other over "American Idol"
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- Cops: Utah teen arrested in death of his 2 brothers
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Prosecutors: Accused killer Kelly Soo Park is a "flight risk"
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship