Bishop Eddie Long (PICTURES): Pastor Speaks out for First Time
ATLANTA (CBS/WGCL) Bishop Eddie Long spoke out for the first time Friday about allegations that he had sexual relationships with at least three teenage boys in his Atlanta-area church.
CBS affiliate WGCL was the only news organization on a telephone conference call with parishioners from across the country who were looking for answers.
Long said he was in the middle of a battle.
"We will arise through this situation, and go forward, and we are moving forward," Long said.
WGCL reports that Long said several times that he didn't know who was on the call, so he had to be careful what he said because the case is in litigation. He also said he would not take any questions.
In his first public statement since the allegations became public, he asked others on the call to pray for his wife, his children, and his church.
"I have never dealt with anything like this before. I have been under attack before, but everything else has been different levels and different challenges," Long continued.
Never once did Long say he was innocent, but he said the truth would be revealed, and that he is praying for his accusers.
"Know that I am also praying for the families and the young men who are accusing. I always operate in the spirit of love, and we are going to move through this," he said.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Massive search underway for abducted teen in Iowa
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Cops: NC woman tried to poison family members' cheese
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Friend: Man charged in missing Maine teen's death knew her