Bishop Eddie Long: Ga. Church Members Support Pastor, Call Sexual Allegations "Lies"
"We don't believe it," says Tonia Sawyer, a member of the New Birth Missionary Baptist Church where the outspoken, anti-gay pastor presides.
Flagg and Robinson filed a lawsuit in DeKalb County Court Tuesday accusing the pastor of seducing them with lavish gifts such as cars, money, clothes, international trips, jewelry and access to celebrities when they were 17-and 18-year-old members of the pastor's Lithonia, Ga., church reports CBS affiliate WGCL.
But some churchgoers of Long's 30,000 member congregation seem to think the lawsuit has no validity.
"I know it's all lies," member Warren Allen told the station.
Attorney BJ Bernstein , who is representing the two plaintiffs in the civil lawsuit against Long, claims there could be more victims and says she can prove the allegations.
"Some of these sexual relations not only occurred on these trips, they occurred in that church," said Bernstein.
Long's attorney, Craig Gillen says he "categorically denies the allegations."
"We find it unfortunate that these two young men would take this course of action," Gillen said.
Gillen believes the men's accusations are linked to a break-in that Robinson was arrested for, allegedly stealing items out of Long's office back in June, reports WGCL.
Long was appointed pastor of New Birth Missionary Baptist Church in 1987 when the church had about 150 members. In less than four years, the congregation grew to more than 8,000 members, many of whom reside in DeKalb County, home to many affluent African-Americans. Athletes and entertainers claim membership at the church, and among its prominent clergy is Rev. Bernice King, the youngest daughter of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.
A church spokesman said there could be a press conference Wednesday afternoon.
MORE FROM CRIMESIDER
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- Ex-Playmate pleads guilty in immigrant smuggling case
- Report: NFL player not ruled out as suspect in murder probe
- "Modern-day slavery" case "all lies," suspect's mom says
- FBI finds possible human remains at mobster's former home
- Report: NFL player questioned in death investigation
- Atty: Martin family confident Zimmerman will be convicted
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Missing Univ. of Chicago student's body found in lake
- Calif. widow's home broken into 14 times, says she's leaving
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Report: Calif. man stabs father, cuts off his own hands