Caroline Giuliani Gets Community Service in Shoplifting Case
NEW YORK (CBS/WCBS) Caroline Giuliani, the daughter of former New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani, was ordered in a Manhattan court Tuesday to do a day of community service and to steer clear of trouble. The sentence stems from accusations that she stole beauty products from a high-end cosmetics retailer.
The 21-year-old Harvard student was charged with petty larceny earlier this month for allegedly stealing $100 worth of makeup from a Sephora store on Manhattan's Upper East Side, even though she had $300 in her pocket, according to CBS affiliate WCBS.
Was she acting out? Officials say her motive was unclear.
The case was adjourned in contemplation of dismissal, meaning it will be closed and sealed if Giuliani successfully completes the volunteer work and doesn't have any more run-ins with the law for six months.
"Stay out of trouble and avoid rearrest," Manhattan Criminal Court Judge Jennifer Schecter told Giuliani.
The Manhattan district attorney's office said the resolution of her case was standard policy for first-time, low-dollar-value shoplifting arrests - not a special deal for the daughter of the former federal prosecutor turned law-and-order mayor and Republican presidential candidate, who made cracking down on petty crime a centerpiece of his tenure at City Hall, reports WCBS.
Store employees told detectives that they witnessed Giuliani on surveillance video cramming the products into her jacket pockets Aug. 4. Police said store managers initially voiced that they didn't want to press charges against Giuliani, but the cosmetics company, which is part of the Paris-based luxury brand LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton, said that it aided prosecutors in the investigation.
It wasn't immediately clear where or when Caroline Giuliani would perform her community service. She's due back in court Nov. 4 to show proof that she has completed the volunteer work.
Giuliani is the younger of the former mayor's two children with ex-wife Donna Hanover.
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- Report: NFL player questioned in death investigation
- Report: NFL player not ruled out as suspect in murder probe
- Atty: Martin family confident Zimmerman will be convicted
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Ex-Playmate pleads guilty in immigrant smuggling case
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple
- One of US FBI's most wanted nabbed in Mexico
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Calif. widow's home broken into 14 times, says she's leaving
- "Modern-day slavery" case "all lies," suspect's mom says
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released