Brittany Munoz Murder Verdict: Garrett Gower Guilty of Killing Pregnant 16-Year-Old Girlfriend
DENTON, Texas (CBS/AP) A Texas jury convicted Garrett Gower of Fort Worth of
capital murder in the November 2009 killing of his pregnant 16-year-old
girlfriend, Brittany Munoz.
According to The Dallas Morning News, the jury deliberated only 90 minutes.
A judge in Denton, about 50 miles northwest of Dallas, then sentenced 21-year-old
Garrett Gower to an automatic life prison term Wednesday. Prosecutors did not
seek the death penalty.
Investigators say Brittany Munoz was about six weeks pregnant when she was slain. A medical examiner ruled that the cause of death was suffocation.
Prosecutors say Gower attacked Munoz when she had threatened to
tell his mother that she was expecting the couple's child. On Nov. 10, 2009, police found Brittany's body in the apartment she
shared with her mother and sister.
to the Dallas Morning News, prosecutor Ryan Calvert described Gower,
now 21, as an "angry boyfriend whose world was collapsing around him"
in his opening statements.
Calvert said Gower was afraid his mother would kick him out of the house if she found out about Brittany's pregnancy.
The arrest warrant affidavit for Gower, obtained by CBS affiliate KTVT, says Munoz suffered blunt-force trauma to her head. According to the document, she was found on her bed and shards of glass were found under her body and around the bed. It also says her left eye was black and blue.
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Bulger Trial: Admitted killer Martorano calls self "nice guy"
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Cleveland kidnap victims may get state govt. payments
- Search for missing woman, 19, in Tempe, Ariz.
- Cops: Calif. math teacher had sex with boy multiple times
- N.M. Police: Grandmother unmasks robber, finds grandson
- Italian high court gives reason for new Knox trial
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days
- Mother beats man she believes molested her kids
- Affidavit: Drug deal led to murder of Ind. teen