Bullied to Death? 16-Year-Old Girl's Family Sues Ohio School for Not Stopping "Lethal" Harassment
The lawsuit says Sladjana Vidovic was verbally harassed and on one occasion was pushed down a set of stairs at Mentor High School, about 20 miles northeast of Cleveland.
The family's attorney, Kenneth Myers, says Vidovic, whose parents are from Croatia, was teased about her heritage and accent. He said Vidovic became depressed over the bullying and hanged herself from her bedroom window on Oct. 2, 2008.
The lawsuit filed Thursday in U.S. District Court seeks unspecified damages.
School superintendent Jacqueline Hoynes says the district will vigorously defend itself against the allegations.
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- Massive search underway for abducted teen in Iowa
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Friend: Man charged in missing Maine teen's death knew her
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- "Wonderful person": Funeral held for slain Hofstra student
- Cops: NC woman tried to poison family members' cheese
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Death of infant son of religious couple ruled homicide