Mitrice Richardson Found Dead: Missing Woman's Remains I.D.'d Near Malibu, Say Police
LOS ANGELES (CBS/AP) The skull and bones found near an abandoned marijuana grove in the Santa Monica Mountains near Malibu are the remains of 25-year-old Mitrice Richardson, according to officials.
Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca says there is no indication the California woman who went missing nearly a year ago was slain.
The confirmation ends a nearly yearlong search for the Los Angeles area woman that spanned from the Malibu mountains to Las Vegas, where authorities recently said people reported spotting Richardson.
She vanished after she was released early Sept. 17 at a sheriff's substation in Calabasas after failing to pay a restaurant bill in Malibu.
Baca said at a news conference Thursday that detectives will continue investigating Richardson's death but her remains may not offer many clues.
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Cops: Hosftra student was killed by officer's gunshot
- Report: Boyfriend charged in murder of Conn. college coed
- Police: Ex-cop once hailed as hero charged with rape
- Sources: Husband ordered cyanide before wife's death
- Arias returns to court for penalty phase of trial
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case
- Colorado mob attacks man thought to be sexual predator
- City sues "Robin Hood" group that prevents parking tickets
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Cops: NYC man dead after "anti-gay" hate shooting
- Official: College student faked kidnapping due to bad grade
- Vegas police: Boy, 15, murdered over iPad