Caroline Giuliani Caught Shoplifting? Rudy Giuliani's Daughter Arrested in NYC
NEW YORK (CBS/WCBS/AP) Caroline Giuliani, the daughter of former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani, was arrested Wednesday on a misdemeanor shoplifting charge after she was seen on security video pocketing makeup at a Sephora store in Manhattan, the police said.
According to CBS affiliate WCBS, the 20-year-old Harvard University student was allegedly seen taking five items worth more than $100.
Store managers, after calling police, said they didn't want to press charges against her, NYPD spokesman Paul Browne said. But police arrested her on a petty larceny charge.
Giuliani, wearing black pants and a red sweater and with her arms folded, exited a police precinct Wednesday evening and quickly got into an SUV with a man and a woman. She did not respond to reporters' questions.
Her father, through a spokeswoman, said the case was a personal matter and asked the media to respect her privacy.
The Manhattan district attorney's office had not decided whether to file formal charges against her, office spokeswoman Erin Duggan said.
Caroline Giuliani is the younger of the former New York mayor's two children with ex-wife Donna Hanover, a television reporter and actress. She is believed to be estranged from her prosecutor-turned-politican father.
In 2007, when Rudy Giuliani was seeking the Republican nomination for president, Caroline Giuliani listed herself as a member of Barack Obama's Facebook group supporting his candidacy. But she left the group after an online magazine sent her an inquiry about it, and she didn't comment on the presidential race.
Rudy Giuliani lost to U.S. Sen. John McCain, who lost to Obama.
He has asked for privacy to deal with strained relationships in his family. His son, Andrew Giuliani, 23, has said their relationship became distant after his father's messy divorce from his mother and marriage to another woman.
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Cops: Hosftra student was killed by officer's gunshot
- Report: Boyfriend charged in murder of Conn. college coed
- Report: Texas girl dies after being abandoned in hot car
- Police: Ex-cop once hailed as hero charged with rape
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- Sources: Husband ordered cyanide before wife's death
- Vegas police: Boy, 15, murdered over iPad
- City sues "Robin Hood" group that prevents parking tickets
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Official: College student faked kidnapping due to bad grade