Aimee L. Sword (PICTURES): Is Prison Sentence Fair for Mother Who Had Sex with Son?
PONTIAC, Mich. (CBS/AP) Aimee L. Sword was sentenced to nine to 30 years in prison for having sex with the 16-year-old biological son she had given up for adoption after tracking down on Facebook.
The 36-year-old Detroit area woman pleaded guilty to one count of first-degree criminal sexual conduct in a deal with prosecutors.
Police say Sword used the social networking site in 2008 to find her son, who is now 16. She had given him up for adoption as an infant.
Sword admitted tracking her son down after she didn't receive an annual update from the boy's adoptive family, according to The New York Daily News.
"When she saw this boy, something just touched off in her - and it wasn't a mother-son relationship, it was a boyfriend-girlfriend relationship," Mitchell Ribitwer, Sword's attorney, told the paper.
No one knew about the abuse until the teen reported the incidents to a school counselor, according to the newspaper.
The 16-year-old testified they had sex multiple times in Waterford Township and Grand Rapids.
What do you think?
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Matt Baker, "Murdering Minister," Gets 65 Years for Killing Wife
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Matt Baker Trial: Ex Mistress Vanessa Bulls Says Preacher Killed Wife
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- W.Va. girl pleads guilty in the killing of Skylar Neese, 16
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- School security guard allegedly pushes girl down stairs
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship