Josie Lou Ratley's Accused Assailant Denied Bail
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (CBS/WFOR) The 15-year-old accused of savagely beating and kicking Josie Lou Ratley into a coma with steel-toed boots will remain in jail until trial, a Florida judge ruled Thursday.
Wayne Treacy appeared before the court to request bond, but prosecutors argued successfully that Treacy's alleged offense is so severe that he should not be granted bail.
Treacy is accused of punching and stomping Josie at the bus stop in front of her Fort Lauderdale middle school on March 17. Authorities said Treacy was incensed by a text message sent from Ratley's cell phone several hours before the attack. Treacy allegedly believed that Ratley called him a rapist for his friendship with 13-year-old Kayla Manson.
Josie spent two weeks in a medically induced coma and underwent several surgeries to reduce swelling on her brain before finally being released from the hospital and sent to a rehab center. She is living back at home now and has to relearn even basic tasks like brushing her teeth and getting dressed. She is able to walk and talk but has trouble using one of her arms. Her mother also said she has trouble remembering things and can't read.
Treacy's defense lawyer is preparing to argue that his client was insane at the time of the beating, saying that one particular text from Josie referring to Treacy's brother who had recently committed suicide set Treacy off, according to CBS affiliate WFOR.
Treacy is facing an attempted murder charge and has pleaded not guilty. He could receive a maximum of life in prison if convicted.
Kayla Manson has been charged with one count of accessory to attempted murder and has pleaded not guilty.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Massive search underway for abducted teen in Iowa
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"
- Cops: NC woman tried to poison family members' cheese
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury