Hate Crime Murder: Attacker Thought Beating Victim Was Gay
Keith Phoenix, 30, was convicted in a retrial Monday in the Dec. 7, 2008 baseball bat beating death of Ecuadoran immigrant Jose Sucuzhanay, and convicted of attempted assault as a hate crime, for also attacking the murder victim's brother, Romel Sucuzhanay.
Jose and Romel were walking home from a bar after a party at a Brooklyn church, and Romel put a coat around his brother, who was drunk, to shield him from the cold. That's when Phoenix and Hakim Scott, 26, pulled up in a sport utility vehicle. According to Assistant District Attorney Josh Hanshaft, the two began yelling anti-Hispanic and anti-gay slurs at the brothers.
Jose became upset and attempted to kick the wheel of the SUV. Scott got out and cracked a beer bottle on Jose's head, then chased Romel down the street, according to trial testimony. Phoenix took an aluminum bat from the rear of the SUV and attacked Jose, fracturing his skull, according to testimony.
Both Scott and Phoenix fled the scene, but approximately 20 minutes later they were caught on surveillance footage on the Robert F. Kennedy Bridge, heading into the Bronx smiling -- which prosecutors made note of in their closing arguments Monday.
Keith Phoenix's first trial ended in a mistrial on May 11 when a juror refused to deliberate. He faces 25 years to life in prison, with sentencing set for Aug. 5.
The jury found Hakim Scott guilty of manslaughter in May, but he was not charged with a hate crime. He could get up to 25 years in prison.
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Missing Univ. of Rhode Island student found safe
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Cops: Pa. couple stabbed each other over "American Idol"
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- N.J. cop accused of firebombing supervisor's home
- Prosecutors: Accused killer Kelly Soo Park is a "flight risk"
- Cops: Utah teen arrested in death of his 2 brothers