Joran van der Sloot Charged with Murder of Stephany Flores
Police say van der Sloot smashed in the face of Lima business student Stephany Flores, whom he met playing poker at a casino, after taking her to his hotel room on May 30. They say he then strangled her, threw her to the floor and emptied her wallet.
Buendia issued the order before dawn Friday, instructing penal authorities to place the Dutchman in a penitentiary pending trial.
Police say van der Sloot gave a remarkably complete confession in the beating and strangling death of Stephany Flores. But van der Sloot's attorney, Maximo Altez, said Thursday that his client's confession was void on the grounds that he made it in the presence of a defense lawyer who was appointed by police.
The chief of Peru's criminal police, Gen. Cesar Guardia, disagrees, saying that not only was van der Sloot properly represented by his government-appointed defense attorney, but the Dutch translator present during the interrogation was assigned by the Dutch Embassy.
"The incriminatory elements were so powerful that he had to confess," Guardia said, adding that the evidence included blood stains found on van der Sloot's clothing.
According to La Republica, van der Sloot admitted to police that he broke Flores's neck after Flores, without permission, took his laptop and found out he was believed to be involved in the disappearance of Holloway.
If tried and convicted on murder charges, van der Sloot would face from 15 to 35 years in prison.
Van der Sloot has been arrested twice in connection with the disappearance of American Natalee Holloway, who vanished while on vacation in Aruba, but has never been charged. He is also facing extortion and wire fraud charges in Alabama stemming from an alleged plot to reveal information regarding the location of Natalee Holloway's body in exchange for $250,000.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case