Sheral Smith (PICTURES): Teacher Gets 7 Years for Sex with Student
BRANDON, Miss. (CBS/AP) Sheral Smith, a former Mississippi private school teacher, will spend seven years of her life in prison after pleading guilty to having sex with a 14-year-old student.
Smith pleaded guilty to statutory rape of the boy on Monday, after Judge Samac Richardson found her competent to stand trial.
According to The Clarion-Ledger, she spent seven months in the psychiatric ward at the State Hospital in Whitfield. Her attorney said she suffered a breakdown.
She was suspended after being accused of having sex with a teen who was a student at New Summit School in northeast Jackson, Miss.
According to the paper, the relationship began in the summer of 2008. Smith was not the boy's teacher.
"We were able to determine at least four different times she had sexual intercourse with the child - three at her residence, one of those occurring at the victim's residence," Madison-Rankin District Attorney Michael Guest told the paper.
Smith was charged in Sept. 2008. She pleaded guilty to four counts of statutory rape. She was sentenced to 20 years in prison with 13 suspended.MEDIA
PICTURES: Notorious Teacher Sex Scandals
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Moxley's friend testifies in Skakel appeal trial
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call