Joran van der Sloot Back in Peru for Stephany Flores Murder
LIMA, Peru (CBS/AP) Murder suspect Joran van der Sloot is is back in Peru after Chilean authorities packed him up and flew him across the border to face murder charges.
Van der Sloot is wanted for the murder of 21-year-old Stephany Flores, whose blood soaked body was found Tuesday in a hotel room linked to van der Sloot.
The Dutchman claims he is innocent but acknowledged having met Flores at a Lima casino, said Chilean police spokesman Fernando Ovalle.
He also remains the prime suspect in the 2005 disappearance of Alabama teen Natalee Holloway in Aruba. Flores was killed five years to the day after Holloway disappeared. On Thursday, prosecutors in the U.S. charged van der Sloot with extortion in connection with the Holloway case.
Wearing the same black-hooded sweat shirt and khaki pants in which he was arrested the day before, van der Sloot was handcuffed and placed aboard a police Cessna 310 in the Chilean capital, Santiago, on Friday morning. The 22-year-old did not speak to or look at reporters who called to him as he was escorted onto the plane.
Van der Sloot, who was seen on video with Flores prior to her death, fled Peru on Monday, but was captured three days later by Chilean police as he was headed in a taxi from Santiago to the Pacific coastal city of Vina del Mar. Police said he had rented a room there.
Flores was found dead late Tuesday in the Lima hotel room where van der Sloot had been staying before he left the country. She had a broken neck. She was fully clothed, with multiple bruises and scratches on her body, but there were no signs she had been sexually assaulted, according to The Associated Press.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Report: Alleged prison gang leader impregnated 4 guards
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- "Wonderful person": Funeral held for slain Hofstra student
- Army: Soldier charged with videotaping women at West Point
- Police recover backpacks of 2 kidnapped Iowa girls
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Friend: Man charged in missing Maine teen's death knew her
- Massive search underway for abducted teen in Iowa
- Cops: Mom arrested for stripping during school assembly
- Death of infant son of religious couple ruled homicide
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death