Anita van der Sloot: Suspected Killer's Mom Shocked by New Allegations in Stephany Flores Murder
NEW YORK (CBS) Anita van der Sloot is "shocked" by the latest allegations against her son, Joran van der Sloot, in connection with yet another young woman's death, according to the family's lawyer Bert de Rooij.
De Rooij says that Anita van der Sloot spoke to her son via telephone Thursday but would not give details about the conversation except to say that Joran "certainly did not" confess to killing 21-year-old Stephany Flores, according to the Dutch News.
The young woman's body was found in a Lima hotel room in a pool of blood. The room was registered to Joran van der Sloot, according to Peruvian newspaper El Comercio.
"I am advising him to find a lawyer who knows something about laws affecting foreigners in South American," de Rooij told Dutch radio station Radio I.
Joran van der Sloot was detained in a taxi Thursday in Chile after crossing the border from Peru, where authorities say the 22-year-old man is the prime suspect in Flores' murder.
Police believe van der Sloot met the University of Lima business student the night before her death at a local casino. Her body was found by a hotel maid late Tuesday, her neck snapped, according to Peruvian police.
The same day he was arrested in Chile, Van der Sloot was also charged in Alabama with trying to extort $250,000 in connection with the disappearance of Natalee Holloway.
The 17-year-old American student vanished in 2005 during an Aruba vacation. Van der Sloot has long been the primary suspect, but Aruban prosecutors felt they didn't have the goods to charge him.
In the Alabama charges, van der Sloot is accused of trying to sell information about the location of Holloway's body and the circumstances of her death. Federal prosecutors say van der Sloot already took $15,000 on the deal, but did not name a victim.
Authorities plan to fly van der Sloot, who is currently in Chilean custody, back to the Peruvian border Friday morning, according to a Chilean police spokesman who spoke on condition that he not be named in line with department policy.
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Missing Univ. of Rhode Island student found safe
- Cops: Pa. couple stabbed each other over "American Idol"
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Prosecutors: Accused killer Kelly Soo Park is a "flight risk"
- Cops: Utah teen arrested in death of his 2 brothers
- N.J. cop accused of firebombing supervisor's home