Jarrod Wyatt, MMA Fighter, Allegedly Ripped out Friend Taylor Powell's Heart
According to reports, police who responded to the March 21 scene in Klamath, Calif. said the 26-year-old mixed martial arts fighter was under the influence of psychedelic drugs when he allegedly drilled an 18-inch hole into the victim's chest.
Wyatt was apparently convinced that the world was about to end and that Powell, 21, was the Devil, according to the Times-Standard.
"Satan was in that dude," Wyatt allegedly told Del Norte County Police Sgt. Elwood Lee, who responded to the scene.
Lee told the northern California paper that Wyatt also cooked Powell's severed body parts in a wood stove because he thought Powell was still alive.
According to his lawyer, Wyatt suffered a psychotic breakdown because of the drugs.
"My client was trying to silence the devil," Wyatt's defense attorney James Fallman told the Times-Standard.
Wyatt was arrested and charged with first-degree murder. He appeared in court Tuesday, according to the paper, but did not enter a plea.
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- Ex-Playmate pleads guilty in immigrant smuggling case
- Report: NFL player not ruled out as suspect in murder probe
- "Modern-day slavery" case "all lies," suspect's mom says
- FBI finds possible human remains at mobster's former home
- Missing Univ. of Chicago student's body found in lake
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple
- Report: Calif. man stabs father, cuts off his own hands
- Calif. teen, once honored, now murder suspect, cops say
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Bulger's attorneys grill admitted killer John Martorano
- Mother of La. girl allegedly killed by brother speaks out
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Atty: Martin family confident Zimmerman will be convicted