Kwame Kilpatrick: Former Detroit Mayor Sentenced to Prison for Probation Violation in Sex, Lies Case
Kilpatrick had testified in a whistle-blower lawsuit that he was not romantically involved with his chief of staff, but text messages between the two later showed he was lying.
At Tuesday's sentencing hearing, Kilpatrick asked Judge David Groner to show him compassion. But Groner said "that ship has sailed."
Kilpatrick, the father of three young sons, was led from the courtroom in handcuffs.
Groner ruled last month that the 39-year-old Kilpatrick failed to report all of his assets and meet other conditions of his probation.
"Your continued attempt to cast yourself as the victim, your lack of forthrightness, your lack of contriteness and lack of humility ... clearly rehabilitation has failed," Groner told Kilpatrick after the former mayor spent about 15 minutes explaining why he should be allowed to return to his family in Dallas.
Upon pleading guilty to obstruction of justice in 2008, Kilpatrick resigned from the mayor's post, served 99 days in jail, and agreed to repay the city $1 million and to stay out of politics for five years.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty
- Cops: N.M. mom chased her daughter's abductor for 7 miles