Toddler Beaten to Death with Basketball Sneaker, Babysitter Did It, Say Cops
According to an affidavit obtained by CBS affiliate WREG, Calvin Jones told police he was babysitting the 2-year-old girl Friday May 14, when she had an accident.
Jones told police he used "a basketball shoe" and the back of his hand to hit the child several times.
Jones is charged with first degree murder and two counts of aggravated child abuse.
The child's mother, Anisha Alford, is charged with one count of aggravated child abuse.
Police say Alford admitted her daughter had spit up, and complained of being cold and feeling sick, but she took no action. Police records do not indicate whether Alford was aware of the beating.
Authorities say Alford and Jones decided not to seek medical treatment, and then found the child dead Saturday morning.
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Report: Alleged prison gang leader impregnated 4 guards
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- Police recover backpacks of 2 kidnapped Iowa girls
- Death of infant son of religious couple ruled homicide
- "Wonderful person": Funeral held for slain Hofstra student
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Friend: Man charged in missing Maine teen's death knew her
- Army: Soldier charged with videotaping women at West Point
- Massive search underway for abducted teen in Iowa
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out