Faisal Shahzad, Times Square Car Bomb Suspect, to Appear in Court
PICTURES: Times Square Car Bomb
He is to appear in court Tuesday to face charges that he tried to set off a massive fireball and kill Americans, federal authorities said.
Shahzad was taken into custody late Monday by FBI agents and New York Police Department detectives at Kennedy Airport while trying to board a flight to Dubai, according to U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder and other officials.
He was identified by customs agents and stopped before boarding, Holder said early Tuesday in Washington.
The suspect is a naturalized U.S. citizen and had recently returned from a five-month trip to Pakistan, where he had a wife, according to law enforcement officials who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.
The U.S. attorney's office in Manhattan was handling the case and said Shahzad would appear in court Tuesday, but the charges were not made public. FBI agents searched the home at a known address for Shahzad in Bridgeport, Conn., early Tuesday, said agent Kimberly Mertz, who wouldn't answer questions about the search.
Authorities removed filled plastic bags from the house overnight in a mixed-race, working-class neighborhood of multi-family homes in Connecticut's largest city. A bomb squad came and went without entering as local police and FBI agents gathered in the cordoned-off street.
Shahzad was being held in New York overnight and couldn't be contacted. A phone number at a listed address for Shahzad in Shelton, Conn., wasn't in service.
MORE ON CBS NEWS
Possible Bomb Suspect Caught on Tape
Bloomberg on NYC Bomb Scare
Task Force Seeks Car Bomber
After NYC Scare, Pakistan Taliban Vows Attacks
Mayor: Times Square Bomb Not Linked to Al Qaeda
Napolitano: Not All Bomb Attempts May Fail
Times Square Bomb Threat: Ordinary yet Deadly
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Report: Texas girl dies after being abandoned in hot car
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web