Cheyenne Williams Attacked by Classmates Because She's a Lesbian, Parents Claim
The incident happened on April 16, a national "Day of Silence" intended to raise awareness about bullying and harassment due to sexual orientation. Williams' mother believes that is what was at the root of the attack.
According to the criminal complaint, filed by Williams on Monday, the three suspects took Williams against her will to Flat Lick Falls were they allegedly attacked her at the falls and tried to push her off a 50-foot cliff, state police said. Williams then brandished a stick at the girls and was able to get away.
The girls later found her and forced her back into the car but then let her go, warning her not to say anything, according the complaint.
School officials said the "Day of Silence" anti-violence event Friday, promoted by the national Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Alliance, did spark some controversy on campus. While some students wore stickers in support of the observance, others protested the event by wearing stickers that said "Gay is not the way." It wasn't clear which side of the debate the three suspects were on.
Ashley N. Sams, 18, of Annville and Corrine M. Schwab, 18 of Sandgap, were arrested and charged with kidnapping and attempted murder. A third 17-year-old girl was also charged in connection with the attack but those charges, and her name, are being withheld because she is a juvenile.
Schwab was released Wednesday on $25,000 bond. She is to be arraigned next week.
Sams remained jailed Wednesday. She is scheduled to be arraigned Thursday.
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Victim in Utah church shooting expected to survive
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Bulger Trial: Admitted killer Martorano calls self "nice guy"
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- N.M. Police: Grandmother unmasks robber, finds grandson
- Italian high court gives reason for new Knox trial
- Mother beats man she believes molested her kids
- Cops: Calif. math teacher had sex with boy multiple times
- Search for missing woman, 19, in Tempe, Ariz.
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Report: Child sex sting in Florida nets 41 arrests
- Ohio day care worker charged with drugging kids' snacks