Ben Roethlisberger Sex Assault Case Dropped in Georgia, Not Enough to Win It Says D.A.
MILLEDGEVILLE, Ga. (CBS/AP) Ben Roethlisberger has eluded the grasp of an accuser in an incident last month.
The Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback will not be charged related to an alleged sexual assault at an Atlanta area night club, a Georgia district attorney announced Monday.
District Attorney Fred Bright said questions still persist about what happened March 5 between Roethlisberger and a 20-year-old college student in a bathroom at the Captial City nightclub, but that he believed prosecutors would not be able to bring a case that would convince a jury "beyond a reasonable doubt."
Bright also emphasized that the accuser did not want the case prosecuted.
The woman claimed the two-time Super Bowl winner assaulted her at the nightspot in Milledgeville, Ga., south of Atlanta. She reported the assault to a patrol officer outside the club and was immediately taken to a local hospital for an examination, according to the Milledgeville Union-Recorder.
Roethlisberger has, through his attorneys, denied the woman's accusation.
In the summer of 2009 another woman came forward alleging that Roethlisberger assaulted her in his Lake Tahoe, Nev. hotel room in 2008. He has denied the allegations and is fighting the suit.
MORE ON CRIMESIDER
March 26, 2010 - Ben Roethlisberger Sex Assault Investigation: Video Captured at Club Erased, Says Report
March 12, 2010 - Milledgeville Union-Recorder Pictures: Cops and Roethlisberger Pose Before QB's Alleged Sex Attack
March 9, 2010 - Amber Hanley, College Student, Stiff Arms Ben Roethlisberger, Drinking Champion
March 9, 2010 - Ben Roethlisberger Update: DNA Request from Police in Assault Investigation
March 8, 2010 - Ben Roethlisberger Sex Assault Accusation - Second in a Year for Steelers QB
September 10, 2009 - Lawsuit Against Steelers QB Roethlisberger Dropped If He Admits Rape
July 21, 2009 - NFL QB Ben Roethlisberger Denies Sex Assault
- Ex-Playmate pleads guilty in immigrant smuggling case
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- Report: NFL player not ruled out as suspect in murder probe
- FBI finds possible human remains at mobster's former home
- Missing Univ. of Chicago student's body found in lake
- Calif. teen, once honored, now murder suspect, cops say
- Mother of La. girl allegedly killed by brother speaks out
- Details surface about Zimmerman jury candidate pool
- Cleveland kidnap victims may get state govt. payments
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Report: Calif. man stabs father, cuts off his own hands
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- "Modern-day slavery" case "all lies," suspect's mom says
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple