Constance McMillen faces Facebook Backlash as her Classmates Ridicule her Online
While many of the early posts have been pulled by their authors, a few websites seem to have been able to grab them before they disappeared. The first post reportedly read "Seriously, you've pretty much eff'd up your fellow classmate's best memory of High School."
The page has since been taken over by Constance's supporters, who have flooded the wall with supportive posts chastising the page's creators, and some of the early commenters.
But hate is hate, and some of Constance's "supporters" seem to be perpetrating the kind of hateful speech and sentiments they showed up to condemn. One message reads, "The fact that this group exists is the reason I support abortion." Other messages apparently included death threats.
Ah, the Internet, bringing out the best in everyone!
But one of Constance's cooler-headed supporters posted a message Constance reportedly posted on her personal page in response to the backlash against her classmates: "I just want the negativity to stop because I try to be respectful and positive...please tell all you friends to get the word out."
McMillen seems to understand that this kind of backlash against the backlash against the backlash is a self-defeating enterprise.
MORE ON CRIMESIDER
March 31, 2010 - Constance McMillen Invited to Private Prom, Lesbian Partner and Tux Allowed
March 24, 2010 - Lesbian Prom Update: Constance McMillen's Rights Violated, But School Doesn't Have to Hold Prom
March 23, 2010 - Lesbian Prom Update: We'd Been Thinking of Canceling the Prom For, Like, a Million Non-Lesbian Reasons, Says School Board
March 11, 2010 - Constance McMillen Wanted to Take Her Girlfriend to the Prom, So the School Board Canceled it
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Cops: N.M. mom chased her daughter's abductor for 7 miles