Josie Lou Ratley, Student Attacked at Bus Stop, Gets Trust for Long-Term Care
Ratley's family has received an incredible outpouring of support since the brutal steel-toed stomping, which was allegedly committed by 15-year-old Wayne Treacy. Restaurants and community leaders have put together drives for the Josie Lou Ratley Fund, and at least four events are scheduled for April, three of them during the next seven days.
The private trust was set up shortly after the attack to cover Ratley's long-term care, Rick Freedman, the family's lawyer, told the Miami Herald.
"When we set up the account, we didn't know what the extent of the tragedy was going to be,'' Freedman said to the paper. "She may need speech therapy. She may need occupational therapy. We don't know what she will need until she wakes up and talks, hopefully. And she walks, hopefully.''
Ratley, 15, continued to show signs of improvement on Easter Sunday, moving slightly in bed.
MORE ON CRIMESIDER
April 5, 2010 - Josie Lou Ratley Update: Steel-Toe Stomping Victim Shows Signs of Improvement
March 26, 2010 - Michael Brewer Visits Josie Lou Ratley in Hospital, Gives Family Hope for Teen's Recovery
March 24, 2010 - Why Didn't Anyone Warn Police Josie Lou Ratley Was Going to Be Severely Beaten?
March 23, 2010 - Hero Teacher Walter Welsh: "Sorry I Didn't Get There Faster"...but He Rescued Josie Lou Ratley from Steel-Toed Beating
March 22, 2010 - Student Victim of Savage Steel-Toed Stomping In Coma, But Her Doctors are Optimistic
March 19, 2010 - Text Messages Led To Brutal Beating of Teenage Girl, Say Cops
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Cops: Hosftra student was killed by officer's gunshot
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Arias returns to court for penalty phase of trial
- Police: Ex-cop once hailed as hero charged with rape
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- 10-year-old killed after gunmen shoot into Calif. home
- Sources: Husband ordered cyanide before wife's death
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case
- Cops: NYC man dead after "anti-gay" hate shooting
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Authorities search for missing URI student
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty