13-Year-Old Jon Carmichael Commits Suicide Following Bullying (VIDEO)
Jon was an eighth grader at Loflin Middle School and those closest to the 13-year-old say he had been picked-on for years.
"It's just gonna be quiet around here without him around," Jeremy said to the local station.
Other students told KTVT that Jon was a good student and well liked among his friends.
Karen Gowan, who took Jon to her church with her son, hopes there is a lesson to be learned about bullying.
"If there's one positive thing that would come out of this is that kids would learn to treat other kids with respect," Gowan told the station.
In Massachusetts, another student, 15-year-old Phoebe Prince, committed suicide after she was mercilessly harassed for months, something that school administrators knew about but did not stop.
Now, with nine students charged in the bullying of Prince, who hanged herself at her family's home in January, questions have arisen about how accountable school officials should be for stopping bullying.
Reporting Contributed by CBS Affiliate KTVT
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Police: Boston math tutor also meth trafficker
- Cops: Pa. couple stabbed each other over "American Idol"
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt
- Swim coach Richard Curl gets 7 years for sex abuse
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- N.J. cop accused of firebombing supervisor's home
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan