Erykah Badu Window Seat Video: Is Her Stripping Illegal or Just in Poor Taste?
DALLAS (CBS/WCBS) Heads turned during the filming of singer Erykah Badu's latest music video, "Window Seat."
The video was shot in and around Dealey Plaza in downtown Dallas. In it, Dallas native Badu walks down Elm Street while stripping her clothes off one piece at a time - until she's fully nude. Elm Street is the place where President John F. Kennedy was assassinated.
Badu walks between several people on the street, and a few can be seen staring at her as she strolls and strips. You can watch the video on her site. It's slightly NSFW, although parts of her body have been blurred out.
Badu is completely nude as she approaches the spot on Elm where Kennedy was shot (which is marked with an "X" on the pavement). The sound of a gunshot can be heard and Badu collapses as if she has been shot.
Streaks of blue "blood" then spill from her head as she lays in the street, spelling the word "groupthink."
According to the Dallas Morning News, a Dallas city spokesman said that Badu did not have permission for the stunt: "The production company that produced this video never contacted the City to seek the proper permits. This is known as "guerilla filming" where production companies circumvent the proper permitting procedures and usually shoot these scenes in one take knowing that if they are discovered they would face arrest and/or penalties."
On Twitter yesterday, Badu said the video was shot in one take. She also says she heard people yelling things at her, but she kept walking. Badu, who has three children, also said she worried that she might traumatize the children who were there at the time.
Badu has reportedly said the video is intended to launch a discussion of "groupthink."
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Cops: Pa. couple stabbed each other over "American Idol"
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt
- Missing Univ. of Rhode Island student found safe
- Police: Boston math tutor also meth trafficker
- Swim coach Richard Curl gets 7 years for sex abuse
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- N.J. cop accused of firebombing supervisor's home