Natalee Holloway's Body Found? Picture Leads Divers to Renew Search
ORANJESTAD, Aruba (CBS/AP) A vacationing US couple believe they have found the remains of Natalee Holloway, the missing Alabama teen who went missing in 2005 - something Aruban police and countless search teams haven't been able to do in 5 years.
Although the Pennsylvania couple, John and Patti Muldowney, can't remember exactly where they took the underwater pictures, an Aruban local claims he knows where the spot is and authorities planned to search the area over the weekend.
No updates were immediately available and a spokeswoman for the police, Ann Angela, said she could not reveal where or when the dive would take place so as not to attract onlookers.
Holloway was on a high school graduation trip when she disappeared while on vacation in Aruba in 2005. The 18-year-old was last seen leaving a bar with Joran van der Sloot on the final night of the trip.
Van der Sloot, a Dutch national, has been detained several times as police continue to investigate the case.
The couple's claim has drawn skepticism from forensic experts connected with the case, saying the likelyhood of her remains still being intact after all this time is slim.
"I do not believe that these photos represent a body," Dr. Cyril Wecht told ABC News. "I think it's a rock formation that certainly does present upon initial perception a suggestion of human skeletal remains, but I do not believe that it is."
Beth Holloway, Natalee's mother, has declined comment on the latest of possible leads in the almost five year old case.
MORE ON CRIMESIDER
March 18, 2010 Natalee Holloway's Skeleton: Did Vacationer Snap Photo of Missing Girl's Remains?
February 23, 2010 - Joran van der Sloot Confession: I Killed Natalee Holloway, But Prosecutors Don't Believe Me
March 19, 2010 - Natalee Holloway's Remains Found? Aruban Police Look into Underwater Photo
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Cops: Utah teen arrested in death of his 2 brothers
- Ex-teacher on FBI 'Most Wanted' list due in court in porn case
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Cops: Mom arrested for stripping during school assembly
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- Third Calif. law student charged in Vegas bird killing
- Missing Univ. of Rhode Island student found safe
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Zimmerman defense releases photos, texts of Trayvon Martin
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths