Rielle Hunter to GQ: "I Could Not Emasculate" John Edwards
In a nearly 10,000 word interview with GQ Hunter starts off by making it clear that she is not getting paid for the exclusive and that she could have "cashed out big. But that's not what I'm about."
Hunter told GQ that she hasn't spoken out about the affair with former Senator Edwards because she was waiting for him to come clean on his own and she felt that if she spoke out first it would have "emasculated him".
The now infamous sex tape was the one taboo topic because Hunter has filed an invasion of privacy civil suit against Andrew Young, the former Edwards aide who claims he was part of a massive cover-up of the Edwards-Hunter affair -- a cover-up that could lead to criminal charges.
"I think like I do with everything: the truth eventually reveals itself," Hunter told the magazine before changing the subject. "And we're all here to grow and evolve. And I think Andrew will grow and evolve, even if it's behind bars."
As for the "hush money" - the million-plus dollars she reportedly received from Edwards' campaign to keep quiet - Hunter told GQ it was not hush money, and that Young told her "it was all on the up-and-up."
"Andrew gave me money because he felt I shouldn't be using my own money to travel to see Johnny. Andrew always wanted to 'take care of everything.'" Hunter told the magazine. "And at that point, I trusted him. He was seductive in how he took care of things and insisted that you have things."
Hunter denied Edwards' role in the alleged payoffs and told GQ, "Johnny had no idea what he was up to, nor did he ask him to do it. The dynamic was: Andrew always taking care of things without telling Johnny or anyone else what he was doing, and claiming he was doing it 'On the senator's behalf.'"
Hunter told the magazine that she still loved Edwards very much but that she is "not engaged. I am not living in any houses that are owned by John Edwards. And he's not my landlord."
He does, however, pay child support.
MORE ON CRIMESIDER
March 4, 2010 - Enquirer: John Edwards Indictment Imminent...Proof that Things Can Always Get Worse
February 11, 2010 - John Edwards Aide Andrew Young: Elizabeth Edwards Wants to Sue Me For Destroying Her Marriage
February 8, 2010 - John Edwards Sex Tape: Judge Orders Security to Take Video from Former Aide Andrew Young
January 29, 2010 - John Edwards' Mistress Rielle Hunter: I Want My Sex Tape Back!
January 25, 2010 - John Edwards Sex Tape? The Headline You Knew Was Coming
January 21, 2010 - John Edwards Latest News: Love Child, Yes; Stolen Dirty Diapers and Fake DNA, We'll See
September 21, 2009 - John Edwards Faces Grand Jury and Former Aide Over Love Affair Lies
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Cops: Hosftra student was killed by officer's gunshot
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Report: Boyfriend charged in murder of Conn. college coed
- Police: Ex-cop once hailed as hero charged with rape
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Arias returns to court for penalty phase of trial
- Sources: Husband ordered cyanide before wife's death
- Cops: NYC man dead after "anti-gay" hate shooting
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Colorado mob attacks man thought to be sexual predator
- Authorities search for missing URI student
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home