Constance McMillen Wanted to Take Her Girlfriend to the Prom, So the School Board Canceled it
With the backing of the ACLU, McMillen fought an Itawamba County school board to be able to take her lesbian partner and wear a tuxedo to the Itawamba County Agricultural High School prom, in the small town of Itawamba, Miss. about 20 miles east of Tupelo.
The school board responded Wednesday by announcing they were canceling the entire prom, scheduled for April 2.
McMillen almost didn't return to school Thursday for fear of retribution by her classmates who had just lost their prom because of her.
"My daddy told me that I needed to show them that I'm still proud of who I am," McMillen said. "The fact that this will help people later on, that's what's helping me to go on."
Same-sex prom dates and cross-dressing are new issues for many high schools around the country, said Daryl Presgraves, a spokesman for GLSEN: Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network, a Washington-based advocacy group.
He said those kind of policies are detrimental to gay students. "It sends a message that these students shouldn't be treated the same," Presgraves said.
McMillen said she did feel some hostility toward her on campus, explaining, "Somebody said, 'Thanks for ruining my senior year."'
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Victim in Utah church shooting expected to survive
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Bulger Trial: Admitted killer Martorano calls self "nice guy"
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- N.M. Police: Grandmother unmasks robber, finds grandson
- Cops: Calif. math teacher had sex with boy multiple times
- Mother beats man she believes molested her kids
- Search for missing woman, 19, in Tempe, Ariz.
- Italian high court gives reason for new Knox trial
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Ohio day care worker charged with drugging kids' snacks
- Report: Child sex sting in Florida nets 41 arrests